Strength for Life
COTA SA accredited strength and cardio training program designed for the over 50's. Run by a qualified fitness instructor, Strength For Life participants undergo an initial health assessment, then follow a tailored program plan during supervised session times.
A $50 health assessment is required prior to participation. If you are an Active Adults member the health assessment and all of your classes are included in your membership.
Individual sessions may be attended on a casual basis for $12 per class.
Strength Training for Older Adults
Participants in the Strength for Life program engage in strength and balance training, progressed regularly under the supervision of fitness professionals.
- It's never too late to start. Muscle strength can be regained and maintained no matter what age of physical condition
- Supervised strength training is not a high risk activity
- Strength training can alleviate the effects of chronic conditions such as arthritis, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and heart disease
- Improves balance and reduces the risk of falling
- Strength training reduces lower back pain
- Enhances your mental well being, raising self-esteem and self-confidence
Strength for Life Aqua
Working out in the water is one of the most therapeutic activities one can take part in. Exercise in water builds cardio, strength and resistance all while being easy on the joints and in a cool and relaxing atmosphere!
Strength for Life Aqua is a tier 1 program led by a qualified Excercise Accredited Professional to promote strength training for over 50s.
Here are the top 5 benefits of exercising in water:
- Increase muscle strength – the resistance in the pool ensures the body’s muscles get a rigid workout.
- Build endurance – unlike traditional weights, water resistance is a more natural resistance which requires the body to strain through the water rather than against it
- Low-impact exercise - the buoyancy of the water helps takes off some of the impact. This is particularly appealing to those with joint conditions such as arthritis
- Alleviates pressure on the joints – Studies have shown water-based exercises relieve pressure placed on joints from normal wear-and-tear and arthritis
Assessments are required prior to participating in Strength for Life Aqua. To book an assessment ($55) please visit our friendly customer service team at the front counter, or email an enquiry to: email@example.com. Assessments must be paid for at the time of booking.
What you can expect from SFL Aqua?
To be an Accredited Partner of the Strength for Life program, a facility must provide:
- Supervised, progressive strength training sessions at least twice a week at an allocated time.
- At least one suitably qualified aqua fitness instructor or exercise physiologist with SFL Accrediation to oversee the session.
- Pool safety guidelines and risk protocols in place
- An accessible and safe environment for people 50 years and over
- A social environment is encouraged.
Strength training with a progressive format is more effective as it gradually increases the intensity of the exercise. The focus is always on posture, balance and core control. SFL programs will include exercises which are functional and relate to activities in everyday life.
- Muscle strength can be regained and maintained no matter what the age and physical condition of the participant.
- Supervised strength training is not a high risk activity for over-50s.
Some of the benefits of water exercise include:
- Increased muscle strength, posture and balance.
- Enhanced sense of wellbeing, mood and sleep quality.
- Greater mobility and flexibility of joints.
- Improved endurance and fitness.
- Eases stiff joints and relaxes sore muscles.
- Reduced pain and fatigue (tiredness).
- Ability to undertake activities of daily living and maintain an independent lifestyle.
Strength for Life Online
Wellbeing SA, COTA SA and Strength for Life have developed this series of videos to allow Strength for Life participants to continue with their strength and balance exercises at home. Included are ideas on making "home equipment" as well as a focus on correct technique.